Product Care & Use
The best way to keep your Hydrapak® Products in top-notch shape is to clean it with soap and water and let it dry completely after every use. Feel free to reach out to our Customer Service team if you have any questions.
The material used in most Hydrapak® products, Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU), is chosen for superior durability and flexibility. It is porous and can be stained like fabric. Staining is generally caused by food coloring used in gel or liquids and does not affect the functionality of the product; yet can be difficult to remove.
A company called Clean Ethics has engineered a chlorine free, non-toxic, and biodegradable tablet that is safe for virtually any surface, called Bottle Bright. We recommend using this product to combat stains and odors in your Hydrapak® products.
Some users may initially notice a plastic-like taste when using any of our products made with TPU. This taste typically subsides over time and can be eliminated by simply squeezing juice from a lemon into the product, filling it with water, and then freezing it. After frozen, remove, thaw, and rinse.
Reservoir Cleaning & Drying
Hydrapak® reservoirs are especially easy to clean because they’re reversible! They are also dishwasher (top-shelf recommended) friendly. Follow these steps for a carefree reservoir:
- Drain all liquids remaining in the reservoir and remove the tube.
- Place your hand in the reservoir, grab the bottom, and pull it back through the top opening (just like turning a sock inside-out). The molded opening can also be flipped after the reservoir body has been reversed. (Note: Shape-Loc™ Reservoirs can only be reversed up until the baffle is exposed.)
- Clean the reservoir with mild soap and water or place in the top rack of the dishwasher.
- Let the reservoir dry out completely while reversed.
- Reverse right side out for storage.
You can also store your empty reservoir and tube in the freezer to keep them from getting funky.
Tube & Bite Valve Cleaning
- Disconnect the drink tube from the reservoir.
- Grasp the bite valve in one hand and tube in the other. Pull the valve firmly to remove the bite valve from the tube.
- Gently remove the silicone sheath from the valve and clean with mild soap and water. Rinse thoroughly.
- Clean the inside of the tube with mild soap and water. Insert the Hydrapak Tube Brush in the open end of the tube and scrub. Rinse thoroughly.
- After drying the components, carefully reattach sheath to valve and re-install bite valve to tube.
Reservoir Directions for Use
To connect, push the insert (on the tube) into the body (on the reservoir). You will hear and feel it click into place. To disconnect, push the gray button on the body and pull out insert. The body automatically seals after the insert is removed.
For users with a fixed connector, we recommend upgrading your reservoir to a Plug-N-Play™ Quick Disconnect. Watch this video to learn how.
To open, pull the slider top sideways from the closed/flared end until removed. Unfold the opening and pull the two sides apart. To close, fold the top molded parts down once and slide the slider top across the length of the folded area to seal.
Make sure the exit spout is sealed with the Plug-N-Play™ connector and the Slider top is off. Fill the reservoir with water. Do not overfill (see max fill line indicator). The reservoir was designed to carry both cold and warm water (32°F up to 140°F).
To allow water to flow, bite the soft portion of the valve and suck at the same time. The valve will remain sealed when not in use. To prevent accidental spilling, engage the shutoff by rotating the body of the valve 90 degrees.
In order to maintain a hygienic reservoir, clean and dry completely after each use. Store in a clean and dry place. Before each use (especially the first use), rinse thoroughly with water.
For optimal performance, periodically apply a food-grade silicone lubricant to the O-ring (on the end of the hose), the slider top, and Shape-Shift™ baffle.
If your reservoir features a Shape-Shift™ baffle you have the option to leave it locked or unlocked. To lock, reverse the reservoir to expose the top of the baffle. Press the top part of the baffle together and snap the two sides into place. Next, return the reservoir to its natural orientation and slide your fingers down the length of the baffle (on the outside of the reservoir) to engage. To unlock, empty the reservoir, fold the top down and pull the baffle sides apart.